Welcome to Allen....
Allen continues to attract national attention for its affordability, safety, education and quality of life. Explore the links below to find our most recent awards and rankings...and to learn why Allen is such a great place to call home!
Allen 2nd Healthiest Housing Market in U.S.Low unemployment, steady job growth and affordable home prices put Allen at the top of the nation's healthiest housing markets.
Allen One of America's 10 Best Towns for Families(June 2013) Allen included in 10 Best Towns for Families based on affordable housing options, green public spaces, strong school systems and vibrant neighborhoods.
Allen Makes List of Top 10 DFW Suburbs(June 2014) D Magazine ranked over 60 suburbs and Allen came in #10 for safety, education, housing values and ambiance.
Allen Ranked #13 Best Place to Live(August 2012) Money Magazine ranked Allen #13 for job growth, home affordability, safety, school quality, arts and leisure.
Allen 13th Safest City in America, #1 in Texas(February 2015) CQ Press ranked Allen the 13th safest city in America based on FBI data.Allen Parks & Recreation Named Gold Medal Finalist(June 2015) Allen Parks and Recreation Department named finalist for National Gold Medal for third year in a row.
Allen Ranked #2 for Young Families(December 2014) Allen ranked #2 in the nation and #1 in Texas based on safety, housing cost, school quality and child friendliness.Allen 19th Best Place to Move(July 2009) Forbes.com compared population growth, family incomes, executive opportunities and home values.Allen 3rd Best Place in Texas for Young Families(October 2014) Nerd Wallet names Allen 3rd Best Place in Texas for schools, home affordability, growth and prosperity.
Allen Included in 50 Safest Cities in Texas(May 2015) Safewise noted an "impressive" lack of property and violent crimes based on Allen's size.
Allen 2nd Best for First Time Homebuyers(June 2014) Allen has been named 2014's 2nd Best City for First-Time Home Buyers in a national study by WalletHub.
The City of Allen is serviced by three independent public school districts. These districts operate independently from the City of Allen, guided by their own administrations and funded by their own taxes. Students are zoned for a particular district based on their address. View a map of Texas school districts.
Allen Independent School District (ISD)
- 15 elementary schools
- 3 middle schools
- 1 freshman center
- 1 high school
- High school houses a Collin County Community College campus
- Allen ISD website
- 4 elementary schools
- 1 intermediate school (for 5th and 6th grade)
- 1 middle school
- Serves residents in Fairview, Lucas, Allen and other surrounding neighborhoods
- Lovejoy ISD website
- Features 70 schools, serving students from Pre-K through high school.
- Serves residents in southwest Collin County, including Allen, Parker and Murphy
- Plano ISD website
Allen also offers many opportunities for higher education, including the following college campuses all less than 35 miles away:
- Collin College (Allen)
- National American University (Allen)
- Southern Methodist University (Dallas)
- Texas Woman's University (Denton)
- University of North Texas (Denton)
- University of Texas at Dallas (Richardson)
Allen offers a friendly community with exceptional schools, excellent city services and a nationally-recognized parks and recreation program. With four premier shopping destinations, an award-winning golf course, nearly 200 restaurants and our own 7,000-seat arena, our city boasts something for everyone.
We hope the following resources help make your move as smooth as possible. Welcome to Allen!
- The Texas Department of Public Safety oversees state driver licenses and ID cards. New residents are permitted to drive with a valid, unexpired license for 90 days following a move. nt
- The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles handles vehicle registration and license plates. nt
- Vehicles must be inspected before they are registered in the state of Texas. The Texas Department of Public Safety provides a list of inspection sites and current fees. n
- TAPS Public Transit provides on-demand, shared ride service to any resident in its 7-county service area, including the city of Allen. TAPS also offers three fixed bus routes in Allen, including one that connects to the Dallas-Area Rapid Transit (DART) station in downtown Plano.
- The North Texas Tollway Authority operates toll roads in Dallas-Fort Worth. Any driver may use a toll road, but those with a prepaid toll tag pay lower rates. With the exception of select toll booths surrounding DFW airport, booths are unmanned and activity is tracked by license plate readers. Drivers are then mailed a bill detailing their toll road usage and fees.
- The sales tax rate for the City of Allen is 8.25%.
- Property taxes are collected by the Collin County Tax Office. Property taxes are based on the property's appraised value.
- The Collin Central Appraisal District appraises all property in Collin County to determine value. Appraisals happen every year.
- Like Collin County and the state of Texas, the City of Allen does not collect an income tax.
- Powertochoose.org provides a database of electric providers and fact sheets on each plan. Regardless of the company or plan selected, one of three companies will manage the electrical infrastructure (such as power lines) for your residence (Oncor, CoServ orGrayson-Collin Electric Co-Op). You will not receive a separate bill from these infrastructure providers; however, it is important to note who services your area in case of an outage.
- Gas service is provided by either Atmos Energy or CoServ Gas.
- Internet and premium television providers include AT&T Uverse, Time Warner Cable, VerizonFiOS and Grande Communications. Residents can also find Allen City Television on these providers' channel lineups.
- The Public Utility Commission of Texas can assist you in finding phone service operators. Visit the Telephone Options webpage and enter "Allen" in the search field.
- Trash and Recycling billing is handled by the City of Allen. Service begins automatically when new residents request water and sewer service.
- Water and Sewer service is handled by the City of Allen.
All information sourced from: http://www.cityofallen.org/
Properties marked by the NTREIS Logo are courtesy of the NTREIS Multiple Listing Service. Property listing data provided by NTREIS multiple listing service. You may not reproduce or redistribute this data, it is for viewing purposes only. This data is deemed reliable, but is not guaranteed accurate by the MLS or NTREIS.
Updated: 25th May, 2019 5:55 PM.